How to Adopt
Our Center is closed for onsite adoptions at this time, but we're ready to help you find your forever pet – at a distance! You can view most of our adoptable dogs here and cats through this link. Once you see a pet you like, follow the instructions in his/her bio to schedule a meeting. Puppies & kittens will be posted exclusively on our Facebook page.
Thank you for your understanding and please consider donating today to help our lifesaving work continue during this challenging time!
Adoption application screening, which requires the following information:
- A completed adoption application
- A driver’s license or a state-issued ID with your current address showing you are at least 18-years-old
- Residency: The owner of the home must consent to the adoption of the animal. If you rent, we require a copy of your lease stating that you are allowed to have pets. If you own your home, please bring a copy of your deed, mortgage payment book or tax bill.
- All members of the household may be required to meet and approve of the new furry family member.
- If you are planning to adopt a dog and presently have a dog(s), all dogs must “meet & greet” at the Adoption Center under the supervision of a trained Providence Animal Center Animal Care Associate.
- For safety purposes, meet & greets must be performed with a 6-foot clip-on leash. Retractable leashes will not be accepted.
- Veterinary records for current or previous pets, if applicable.
Once through the adoption screening process, which takes about 15 minutes, we move right along to the match-making process. This part could take up to 60 minutes. Our trained counselors will review your application and conduct an interview to ensure:
- The age and energy level of the animal you chose is a good fit for your current lifestyle and home environment
- Your plan for acclimating the new pet to your home is sufficient for that pet
- Any expectations you have of your new pet are satisfied
- Any behaviors quirks noted about the animal are reviewed with you and a mutual agreement between you and your counselor is made that the pet is a good fit
- Counseling for behavior, exercise, acclimation and training needs of the pet is thoroughly reviewed and understood.
In some cases, it’s determined the chosen pet may not be the best match for your home and lifestyle, based upon our expert counselors’ assessment from the application and interview. In that case, we will do our very best to guide you available pets that would be a better match for you and your family.
The last step in the process takes about 20 minutes and involves an adoption associate reviewing all medical information we have on the chosen pet with you. Additionally, you will sign an adoption contract and other policies and procedures will be reviewed with you, such as our post-adoption veterinary care policy. Payment is required at this time unless the adoption fee of the pet is sponsored or waived! In all cases, we appreciate additional donations to support the lifesaving work done by Providence Animal Center every day. Every penny counts, so please give what you can for our other homeless pets.
Adoption fees vary per animal, depending on age, breed and medical/behavioral conditions. Sometimes, we may be offering adoption promotions. Visit our Facebook page to see if we have any current specials.
*Denotes variable adoption fees could apply to certain pets. Variable adoption fees are higher than our standard adoption fees, which enable us to care for animals in need of lifesaving medical and behavioral intervention. Variable pricing typically applies to puppies, small dogs, and purebred animals.
Ongoing adoption specials:
- Everyday low cat adoption fee of $25 for cats aged 6+ months.
- Save a Paw, Get a Paw: When you adopt a cat or kitten, you can bring home a cat aged 6+ months at no fee!
- Seniors Saving Seniors: People aged 55+ can adopt a dog aged 5+ for just $55.50, and the following year's core vaccines are free!
Cash and all major credit cards.
Tax is not included in the listed prices.
Adoption fees are not refundable.